Melior Associates have been engaged to help recruit a Senior Health & Safety Advisor, for a independent construction/civil engineering group in Southampton. This person will take the lead of all SHEQ matters, reporting to the Construction Director.
The company has a strong H&S safety culture and have had:
* Zero reportable incidents or accidents in last 5 years
* Zero Improvement or Prohibition notices in last 5 years
* Zero AFR in last 5 years
To be a focal point within the business for professional and consistent advice on Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality matters
Neither a policing role nor a remote subject matter expert the Advisor would need to build strong links with operational teams, so they are actively engaged in supporting delivery.
Seen as a role model who embodies the right behaviours the SHEQ Advisor would be able to aide operational teams, including supply chain partners, whilst taking a practical approach to understand operational constraints and work with teams to achieve the right outcome.
The Advisor will conduct regular inspections to measure the Company’s performance/compliance against the Business Management System and to promote best practice. Leading investigations the Advisor will need to be impartial in fact finding and confident in presenting to senior managers and clients.
Key Roles, Responsibilities and Accountabilities
* Work proactively with all employees, clients and supply chain to establish and maintain safe systems and places of work.
* Support and advise in the production of key documents for example, Construction Phase Plans, Environmental management plans, Risk Assessments and Works Package Plans.
* Carry out regular site inspections to evaluate the effectiveness of the business management systems and procedures, producing detailed reports to the Construction Director.
* Leading investigations of accidents, incidents, close calls and non-conformances ensuring lessons learnt are implemented and remain effective
* Promote the reporting of close calls and positive interventions, monitor trends and ensure close out of actions.
* Provide support to the Contracts Manager and Heads of Department to ensure all risks and environmental impacts are considered at the planning stage
* Attend Client forums, workshops, Close Call meetings and promote best practice
* Liaise with Client counterparts and representatives, work with them to ensure required standards are met and provide professional advice if required.
* Support drafting of Tool Box Talks and Safety Alerts.
* Ensuring compliance with current health, safety and environmental legislation, industry and company standards and approved codes of practice, including Sector Schemes.
* Participate in the promotion of SHEQ programmes and schemes that we or our clients run and disseminate / develop this information
* Set an example using innovative ideas and providing support to your peers
* Ability to manage changing workload and conflicting priorities
* Manage and drive individual performance
* Confidence to challenge and work with teams to overcome conflicting demands
* Promote values across the company & be a role model.
Environmental Awareness Training
Appropriate CSCS Card
Full Driving Licence
Technical Skills and Experience
* Minimum of 2-years’ experience in construction/civil H&S role
* Previous experience of working with management systems, policy’s and procedure’s
* Be confident in leading investigations and effective report writing
* Good knowledge of a wide range of SHEQ current best practice.
* Be a confident and engaging individual, who can motivate others and who has strong influencing skills
* Demonstrate a high-level commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace
* Demonstrate creativity, initiative, diplomacy, resourcefulness and resilience, in a demanding and fast-paced environment
* Good working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Excel and Word.
* Well-developed written communication skills with excellent ability to maintain confidentiality.
On offer is a great overall package which includes a fully expensed company car or car allowance (With fuel card) and all the essentials, but also annual pay increases, annual bonus, and several other social perks.
For further details please get in touch with Tristan Prior
To apply for this job please visit www.cv-library.co.uk.